- Author of Cyclecraft, published 1988, 1997, 2002 and 2007 by The Stationery Office, London. Widely acknowledged as the definitive guide to skilled cycling technique, equivalent for cycling to the Police Roadcraft manuals. Endorsed by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), the UK Department for Transport (DfT), CTC (UK national cyclists' organisation), and the principal specialist organisations now delivering cycle training.
- Registered as an Expert Witness on cycling since c.1990, concerned with analysis of the causes of crashes to cyclists and the presentation of evidence to court and inquiries. I have given evidence in the courts of England & Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Irish Republic and (by affidavit) Canada.
- Member of the UK Government/CTC Reference Group that developed the National Cycle Training Standard and accreditation scheme launched in 2003. The syllabus for the Standard is based largely on the content of Cyclecraft, which is required reading for all cycle training instructors and recommended reading for trainees working to the National Standard. I am myself registered as a trainer to the Standard.
- Member of a Department for Transport advisory group that oversaw a research project on cycling safety from 2008 to 2010. This was the most comprehensive review of cycling safety issues to have been undertaken in the UK.
- Freelance consultant undertaking surveys, assessments and safety audits in cycling for various organisations, community groups and individuals.
- Author of Advanced Cycling, commissioned by the Institute of Advanced Motorists as a companion to their advanced driving and motorcycling books. Published 2010.
- Member of a Department for Transport working group during the 1990s which studied the assessment of highways through an audit and review procedure, with regard to the safety and convenience of cyclists. This was an important strand in the development of the UK National Cycling Strategy.
- Speaker at national conference on cycle-friendly infrastructure in April and July 2002, organised by Nottingham University in association with the DfT and CTC. The conference was attended by local government officers and consultants.
- Contributor of articles on cycling technique and cycle infrastructure to professional journals. I have contributed papers and given presentations to various forums on diverse aspects of cycling, cycle safety and cycle planning, including the international Velo City conferences and UK national cycle planning conferences.
- Member of Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation.
- Previous chair of Cycle Campaign Network and one time member of the governing Council of CTC
- I cycle daily, both as my primary means of transport and for leisure. I have cycled throughout the UK and Europe, and in several other parts of the world.
- Broadcasting Engineer with BBC for more than 30 years specialising in equipment design
- IT consultant undertaking custom software and web development, database management and interfaces.
- I hold a Bachelor of Arts (Open) degree, encompassing a wide range of technical and non-technical subjects.